Saturday, May 1, 2010

The FLEX-1500 goes ATOMic

I dug out my Intel ATOM 330 (D945GCLF2) XP SP3 machine from the bottom of the closet (it was stored there when it wouldn't play well with the FLEX-300) and after spending an hour or so doing BIOS, driver and other updates, finally got it running with the FLEX-1500 using the latest version of PowerSDR v1.19.3 from SVN. The results are better that when running with the FLEX-3000 (since it basically didn't).

On receive with no RX DSP special processing, it runs at about 37% utilization.

With NR/ANF/NB1/NB2/BIN enabled on SSB, it caps out at ~55% CPU with no degradation of the display or audio.

Now load up VAC 4.09, Com0Com and Fldigi for operating digital modes and the CPU utilization jumps up to ~48%. If you add on a logger or DDUTIL, I suspect I would be at the ragged edge of what this little PC can do.

This is just how it played on my ATOM desktop machine so there are no promises with your ATOM based laptop. Your mileage will vary.

I also finished my Rubidium (Rb) disciplined oscillator project. I put a LPRO-101 Rb stabilized reference oscillator in a forced air, ventilated enclosure with a DEMI 1x4 10 MHz distribution amplifier/filter so that I can slave multiple radios off of one Rb frequency source. It's 10 MHz stabilized signal is driving the DDS for both the FLEX-5000 and the FLEX-1500. I hope to have a few pictures and a new frequency stability run using it with the FLEX-1500 in the coming days. So, its true, the FLEX-1500 is really "gone atomic"!

No comments:

Post a Comment